Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference in Career Majors and Short-Term Classes?

Career Major training is targeted to high school students as well as adult students who want to attend either half-day or all day to obtain skills necessary for specific careers. In the past, these were referred to as "Full-time Programs" although students could choose to attend just half of the day.

Short-Term Classes are targeted to teach or enhance skills for specific areas within a career or special interest area. Examples of short-term classes would be an Introduction to Computer class, Certified Nurse Aide Long Term Care class, or EMT Basic Refresher class.

How old do I have to be to attend classes at Northwest Tech?

Anyone age 16 and over may enroll in short-term classes. Most full-time courses are open to high school juniors and seniors, and adults, although some courses are for adults only. Sophomores may enroll with the agreement of the sending school and the technology center.

What classes are available for full-time students?

You may first select a Cluster area in which you are interested by visiting the Career Majors page. After you determine an area you are interested in such as Transportation, you may select a career major such as an Automotive Service Technician. If you have questions about the clusters and/or career majors, you may contact the Northwest Tech counselors at each campus.

How do I enroll in Full-Time Career Major?

The enrollment process is listed on the Full-Time Enrollment/Tuition page. You may also call the Alva Campus at 580.327.0344 or the Fairview Campus at 580.227.3708 if you have questions or need more information about enrollment procedures.

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid may be available for some full-time programs. Financial aid is not available for short-term classes.

Should I complete the FAFSA as part of my application process?

Yes, the information given by the FAFSA shows the financial need of an adult student, regardless of whether or not they qualify for a Pell Grant.  This financial need information is used in consideration not only for Pell Grants, but also for scholarships. 

How do I complete the FAFSA?

Complete the "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA) in print, or online at

  • Identify NWTC as your school code choice on the FAFSA application.
  • NWTC Federal Code for both the Alva and Fairview Campuses is 026000.
  • Send off your application using one of the following:
    • Online:
    • Mail: Federal Student Aid Programs, PO Box 4691, Mt. Vernon, IL 62864-0059.

What happens after I submit the FAFSA?

When you have completed a federal financial aid application, the schools that you have selected will receive your application information. If you qualify for financial aid at Northwest Technology Center, we will determine which types of aid you are eligible for. A student may receive aid from more than one source as long as that aid does not exceed the need calculation at that school.

What Is "need"?

Need is the difference between the cost of attending a school minus the expected family resources for attending that school.

Will Northwest Tech grant credit for other educational or work experiences?

Submit transcripts from other schools you have attended.

Transfer credits/hours will be reviewed and approved by your instructor after enrollment.

Can I get college credit?

Northwest Tech has established alliance agreements with Northern Oklahoma College and OSU-Institute of Technology for some full-time career majors. The number of college credit hours available is dependent upon the career major. Cooperative agreements are also in place with Cowley County College in Kansas. For more information about college credit, please contact Karen Koehn, Alva Campus Counselor, at 580.327.0344 or Jane Harris, Fairview Campus Counelor, at 580.227.3708.


 Updated on 7/7/14